Wednesday, April 27, 2011

TOOTHLESS T's

So, we are two kickball games into the season...and our record is 0-2...not something to be excited about!  It would be nice to leave the field with a win, but we will take the loss as long as we are having fun and not getting hurt.  I mention 'not getting hurt' due to a game last year that caused one of our players to loose his two front teeth.  And he didn't have a jacked up mouth either, he had pretty, pearly white, straight teeth.  You see, that's what happens when you play 'ball sports' and you don't call the ball!!  Although I never was a 'ball sport' person, that game in particular showed me the importance of teaching kids early on to claim your game!!  Who knew kickball would be so dangerous!!  Two of our guys both went full-force for the ball in the outfield and collided.  Guy #1 elbowed Guy #2 directly in the mouth.  Guy #1 ended up catching the ball and we got the out, while Guy #2 ran off the field and motioned to another teammate (who just happened to be a nursing student) to take him to the ER.  Mind you, his hand was cupped under his chin, full of blood, and his two front teeth were literally, poking out of his top lip.  If you look closely at my team picture I posted before, you might can see Guy #2's missing teeth.  He was such a good sport about it, and even came to games after that one to support our team.  He also interviewed for a full time job at Spirit Aerosystems prior to getting his implants (aka, with no front teeth) and got the job!  Guy #1 had to have stitches in his elbow, and he is still playing with us this year.  Guy #2, however, was inspiration for our new team name.  Last year, we were 'Kickin It Old School', and this year we are the 'Toothless T's'.  Guy #2 approved of our name prior to having our tee shirts made, and I can honestly say the name is starting to grow on me.  Guy #2 has not quite made it to the field this year just yet...
 
You may have noticed the term 'ball sports' above...yes, I created that myself.  I danced and cheered growing up, and attempted to play soccer once in high school.  Basically, I lasted on the soccer team for about 3 weeks, aka, long enough to get a sweet hoodie that I still wear today.  I consider cheerleading as much of a team sport as any other sport, therefore I always feel the need to identify 'ball sports' from others.  I'm not going into a lot of detail with my reasoning, because that's not the point I'm trying to make here.  The point is, this 'non-ball sports playing girl', caught an air ball and got an opposing player OUT in our second game!!  I don't know who I impressed more, my teammates or myself!!haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment