Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Double Date Night

Last Wednesday, we had dinner with my dad and Diane and it was so nice!  We don't get to see each other often, but I am simply impressed that my dad has a smartphone and uses BlackBerry Messenger  :)  that has been a great way for us to keep up with each other a little better.  Since they live in Newport and his work schedule is never the same (he is gone for days at a time & then home for a few before heading back out), we got the idea to plan a dinner for one night in the month of April.  We decided it could be a late celebration for my birthday, and an early celebration for his birthday (April 30) and Joseph's (April 22).  Originally, the plan was for Joseph and I to go to their house and enjoy some of my dad's chicken wings.  However, it works out best for all of us that we get together on a weeknight, so I mentioned meeting halfway in New Bern since Newport is a good hour drive for us.  I told my dad the three good local restaurants in New Bern, being Captain Ratty's, Morgan's, and The Chelsea.  He browsed their menus online and told me exactly what I wanted to hear when he had decided the place.................MORGAN'S!!  That is my favorite and I can hardly wait to meet them there in a few short hours!!  This post was originaly written last Wednesday but I could never post it so I will keep the excitement for your imagination.
I have come to a realization that my dad and I always manage to find a way to talk about food.  Whether it's a new restaurant he has tried or a new restaurant I am trying.  It could be that he tells me of their latest home cooked meal, or I might tell him of Joseph's latest kitchen creation.  I think it's safe to say that I get my love for good food honest!

I can proudly confess that I eat whatever I want to eat, although I try to stay on the healthy side of things.  It doesn't always happen though.  Especially at Sunday Lunch at 'Grandma Jean's'.  However, this is my reasoning for working out - so if I want to have fried chicken, fresh green beans, homemade biscuits & gravy, creamed corn, homestyle potatoes, strawberry shortcake, and sweet tea every Sunday - I CAN!!  I try not to indulge in meals like that often, but it is impossible to pass up lunch at Joseph's grandmother's house on Sundays.  The. Best. Meals. To. Ever. Hit. My. Mouth.  PERIOD.  My goal in life is to be able to cook as good as she can one day.  Maybe one day.

I always look forward to a good meal, is that bad?haha.  My coworker Amy & I are going went to Pizza Villa for lunch today last Wednesday, which is another favorite local restaurant of mine.  She is from New Jersey, so I had to break her in to one of Kinston's finest eateries, and now she loves it.  I thoroughly enjoy sharing my happy times with others, and I hope my dad enjoys Morgan's tonight as much as I do!

*Now it has been 6 days since we met for dinner, and I can say that we all enjoyed our meals.  It was agreed that we should meet in New Bern more often as it was a 35 minute drive either way, and they have a lot more to offer than Kinston or Newport!!  Maybe this can become a once a month ritual  :)

1 comment:

  1. I think it is wonderful that you and your dad are reconnecting. I would love to see him again, b/c I can't even remember what he looks like its been so long. I won't ever forget that time that we played in his truck in your driveway forever. We had the best time.

    ReplyDelete