Monday, November 22, 2010

green bean casserole

Since Thanksgiving is this week, I wanted to share one of my absolute favorite recipes with you.  Granted, you may hear me talk about a lot of 'favorites' regarding food, but there is no denying the fact that I love food, love cooking, and love eating!  This is a recipe that has been passed down in my mom's family for years, and I've never had a green bean casserole that tasted so good.  Ours is simply cheesy goodness, and will put yours (made with only cream of mushroom soup) to shame.  No offense, but if you ever try this one, I think you will agree!

Smith Family Green Bean Casserole

2 cans green beans, drained
1 can cream of mushroom
1 8 oz cream cheese
1 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 large can of french onions

Mix all of the ingredients together, leaving about half of the french onions for topping.  Place in casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Place the rest of the french onions on as a topping, and bake again for about 10 minutes, "or until golden brown".  Don't you just love that saying on 95% of all recipes  :)  Anytime I've ever introduced this dish to people outside of my family, they have always asked for the recipe.  In fact, it's on my mind today because Traci asked for it earlier.  If you decide to try it, I don't think any of you will be disappointed, unless you're counting calories.  But, who does that at Thanksgiving anyway??

Believe it or not, we did not have this dish yesterday with my mom's family.  I never complained about missing it, because the rest of the food made up for it.  BUT, have no fear, Joseph's family has so graciously invited my mom to their Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday, and this is what she will be bringing.  I can't wait to get a heaping serving on my plate, and to share the goodness with them!  Me, on the other hand, I will be bringing a Sweet Potato Casserole.  I haven't made that since college, so I hope it will be just as good as I remember!  Happy Baking!

3 comments:

  1. Well guess what? I just made steal this and use it for thanksgiving this year! THANKS! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited this is what your mom is bringing!! Ever since I have seen the recipe, I've been craving it :)

    ReplyDelete