Thursday, February 3, 2011

Better After

I really can not take credit for this project, but I couldn't be more happier about it, and I have to share.  I thought about sending this to the Better After blog, but she would probably laugh at my project so I will just share it with you!

I inherited very few items when my Mama Dean passed away, although the handful of things I got mean the world to me.  A beautiful pearl necklace that I have yet to wear, two beautiful rings, a beautiful scarf that I almost always get complimented on, and a pair of white wooden rocking chairs that were always on her front porch.  Do you notice the 'beautiful' trend?  That's what I think of when I think of her, I really am so attached to these few items.  I've been told that the rocking chairs actually used to be my Great-Grandmothers, so there is no telling how long they've been in the family.  I was tickled that no one else wanted them and I could also have the same chairs on my porch.

The only problem is the paint had begun to continously chip off.  Getting rid of the chairs is not an option to me, so Joseph and I decided that we would try to tackle the refinishing project.  After about 5 hours, lots of elbow grease, 3 cans of the high-end paint thinner, and a lot of sweat on a hot August day, this is how far we got with the first chair....


We obviously had no clue that the chairs had been painted over numerous times in the past, including two different shades of green.  It was interesting to see the different paint colors, layer by layer!!  This chair stayed hidden in my storage room and became the perfect home for trash bags before heading to the trash dump for over a year.  Gross, I know.  I then purchased a new table/chair patio set for the back porch, and had one lonely white rocking chair hanging out, still with chipping paint, just missing it's mate.

Until I got to talking with my grandpa on my step-dad's side, and realized he would LOVE to do a project like I had in mind.  He has always loved refinishing furniture and has more knowledge about woodwork than anyone else I know.  DING DING DING!!!  I asked him if he'd be willing to do it, and warned him multiple times that it will take a lot of work, all the while he said, "bring me the chair, I will do it for you."

He had the first chair that we had started on complete within 4 days, max.  We switched them out and he did the second one in about 5 days, and I couldn't be more happy with them now.  The chairs mean even more to me now, knowing that two of my grandparents (from different sides) had a hand in them.


A special THANK YOU to my wonderful Aunt Gloria who told me about the amazing pillows pictured above.  I still can't believe they came from our WalMart and were only $10 each.  As soon as she told me about the great deal on their new outdoor pillows, I immediately went and bought these.  If only I had the decorating skills that she has.....maybe one day!  Until then, I'll settle for enjoying these pretties looking out at the cotton field behind my house.

Please disregard the pink crocs...they are not part of the new decor!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! The chairs look great. I can tell by the way you talk about Mama Dean that she certainly was a very special lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those! I'm the same way, I'm so upset that no one before me in my family valued sentimental things...what a treasure you have! :)

    ReplyDelete