Friday, January 7, 2011

Ashley #1 & Ashley #2

So I know I talk a lot about Joseph's sister, Ashley, aka, The Heath Bunch, a lot, but there is another Ashley that is extremely close to my heart.  Ashley Deaver & I have known each other ever since we can remember.  When our parents were still together, through their divorces, through their second marriages, through boyfriends, through summer camps, through numerous summers spent at the beach, through dance classes, through sleepovers, through high school, through college, through her marriage, her daughter, the gym, bunco, and the list goes on!  She has always been a long legged beauty, she gets that from her dad.  Me, on the other hand, I am usually the shortest person among any of my friends.  Therefore Ashley was always, "Ashley #1" and I was "Ashley #2".  What kid wants to be second place?  NOBODY!  But, I always told myself it was just a way for our parents to get our attention, and just because she was #1 didn't mean she was better than I was.  We are both equally important, right Ashley??ha!  Both of us were practically raised by our stepdads, difference is, hers didn't ruin things like mine did.  We have so much in common, yet we are so different, but she is and I have no doubt, will always be, one of my very best friends.  She has been there for me through thick and thin the past 25+ years and I hope that I can always do the same for her.


I got a terrible phone call yesterday morning to say that her stepdad had passed away.  He woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't feel his arm, so he woke her mom up and let her know they needed to go to the Hospital.  They both got dressed and before he could get out of his bedroom he had a massive heart attack.  January 6 is also her mom's birthday.  It just breaks my heart.  It is like a bad dream and we are waiting to wake up.  I am only sharing this information with hopes that you will please say some special prayers for the family of Mike White.  Ashley loved him SO much, and he did love her just as good, and he was always so proud of her.  He was such a loveable man, and his 2 year old granddaughter had him wrapped around her little finger.





I know the days, weeks, and months ahead will be so tough for the family.  I have said numerous prayers since that phone call, and I just ask that you please keep them in your thoughts as well.  Please also say a small prayer for me, as I will be reading a poem at his funeral.  It was on my heart all day yesterday to offer this to Ashley & her mom, because I know how much it meant to me when people spoke at my grandmother's funeral.  The words were on the tip of my tongue all day yesterday, but they just wouldn't come out.  However, when I sent Ashley a goodnight BBM last night, I knew exactly what I needed to tell her.  I have never done anything like this before.  I don't know that I can do it, but I honestly believe it was a sign from above, and I'm putting my trust in the big man upstairs to help me through it. 

Ashley reads my blog regularly, and I'm just waiting for the day that she starts her blog up again.  Yes, she has a blog, but I'm not doing a link to it because it's been so long since she has updated it, I hope she will forgive me!  And maybe she will surprise me with a post sometime soon  :) 

I LOVE YOU ASHLEY #1!

1 comment:

  1. I hate to hear that shug. I will say prayers. You will do wonderful with the poem! :)

    ReplyDelete